Letters from Editor
The APIC Text and COVID-19
During this crucial time, we’ve taken some steps that we hope will make the APIC Text a more accessible resource to anyone who needs it. If you’re not already a subscriber yourself, or know someone who would benefit from accessing the APIC Text, please feel free to use and share this information.
Open access to critical Chapter Collections:
We’ve made two of our Chapter Collections, Long-Term Care and Outbreak Preparedness and Response, available for free to everyone through September 30. These Collections comprise 34 chapters from the APIC Text, including several that you may find especially relevant to the current situation, such as Hand Hygiene; Standard Precautions; Cleaning, Disinfection, and Sterilization; and Environmental Services.
How to access the collections:
- If you’re an APIC member: You automatically have access. Simply log in on this page (the APIC Text homepage) with your APIC credentials.
- If you’re not an APIC member: Please take these two steps:
- Sign up for each Collection by clicking the APIC Chapter Collection links on APIC’s COVID-19 webpage and following the ordering instructions., Note: Each Collection has a separate link on the webpage. To access all 34 chapters, please be sure to order both collections. Then,
- Log in on the APIC Text homepage (text.apic.org) to read. To access all 34 chapters, please be sure to sign up for both Collections.
If you need any help troubleshooting your access, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscription grace period
For current subscribers whose subscriptions ended in February through May, we’ve provided a grace period until at least June 30, 2020. That means that you won’t lose access to the complete APIC Text if you’re unable to renew right away. As the situation unfolds, we will consider extending this grace period. If you have any issues accessing your APIC Text subscription, or any questions about your account, please reach out to email@example.com.
As an important aside, please note that content in the APIC Text is informational only, and is not intended to supersede any guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, or any other organizations or governing bodies regarding COVID-19 or any other infection prevention and control topics. Some important links for COVID-19 specific information may be found below, or at APIC’s COVID-19 webpage.
- Current situation updates
- Guidance for general public
- Clinical testing and treatment information
- Personal Protective Equipment requirements and training resources
- Communication resources
- APIC COVID-19 Fact Sheet
- APIC PPE Do’s and Don’ts infographics for staff education
- COVID-19 updates from APIC President Connie Steed, MSN, RN, CIC, FAPIC
- Outbreak response training resources
- Links to COVID-19 research and publications
- Collection of guidelines for clinicians
- Clinician and patient education resources
Thank you for all that you do each day to protect those in your care, and for the work you are doing to prevent the spread of infections.
Senior Content Manager, APIC Practice Resources